Christ caring for people through people.
Confidential, nonjudgmental, one-on-one Christian care.
Stephen Ministers are lay persons who listen, empathize, encourage, pray, and provide emotional and spiritual support. They provide focused, confidential, one-to-one Christian care and help you experience the healing power of Christ’s love in your life.
Who might benefit from a Stephen Ministry relationship?
We all experience challenges in life when we could benefit from the support of a caring Christian friend who may have experienced similar difficulties. Examples of situations in which a person might seek a Stephen Minister include (though your reason may be different):
• Loss of a loved one
• A broken relationship, divorce, separation
• Employment crisis or unemployment
• Spiritual crisis
• Terminal or chronic illness
• Traumatic accident or event
• Homebound, loneliness, aging, nursing home
• Relocating or facing life transitions
• Birth/adoption, miscarriage, or infertility
• Children leaving home, parents needing extra care
• Incarceration of a loved one
Are you in need of a Stephen Minister?
Dedicated, caring Stephen Ministers are available to all in our congregation and community. Great care is taken to best match you with your Stephen Minister. Relationships are always male-to-male and female-to-female. You will establish a convenient meeting time and place, typically meeting once a week for about an hour. This will be an evolving, trust-building process in which you choose the way in which you can best be helped.
If you think a Stephen Minister might be helpful, complete an Application for Seeking a Stephen Minister and return to Rev. Sarah Belles, or call her at 704-892-8277.
Are you interested in becoming a Stephen Minister?
If you have gifts for caring, encouragement, and listening, please prayerfully consider becoming a Stephen Minister. This is a wonderful opportunity to grow in faith, develop stronger relationship skills, and bring Christ’s love into the lives of hurting people. Feel free to speak with any Stephen Minister to learn more.
Trainees meet weekly for a total of 50 hours of training. After commissioning, you will receive a care receiver as soon as a good "fit" occurs. All Stephen Ministers meet twice a month for fellowship, prayer, continuing education, and small group peer supervision.
Due to the intensive training, Stephen Ministers are expected to commit to the program for at least two years. If you are interested in becoming a Stephen Minister, complete an Application to Become a Stephen Minister and submit to Rev. Sarah Belles.
How Stephen Ministry enhances DUMC
DUMC's ministry is strengthened because:
• More people can be reached with Christian care than pastors can by themselves
• Our entire congregation is called to grow as a warm, loving, nurturing community, where people are cherished and cared for in Jesus Christ
• Our congregation is identified in our community as a place where people's needs are taken seriously and caring help is offered.
People who receive care from a Stephen Minister:
• Receive quality Christian care
• Deepen their relationship with their Lord
• Grow in their desire to participate in the Christian community
• Journey through their difficult time with a realization that they are not alone physically, emotionally or spiritually.
Please support our Stephen Ministry:
Every member of our congregation can play an important role in our Stephen Ministry program, here’s how:
For our Stephen Ministry program
That hurting people will accept care from a Stephen Minister
That our Clergy Leader will best match care receivers with Stephen Ministers
That caring people will train to become Stephen Ministers
That God will use this program to heal hurting people in our church and community
God doesn’t expect you to bear your burdens alone, accept care from a Stephen Minister during your time of need
If you are a good listener and a compassionate person, prayerfully consider becoming a Stephen Minister
Tell a hurting friend, neighbor, coworker or relative about our Stephen Ministry program
• Application for Seeking a Stephen Minister – completely confidential, this application goes directly to Rev. Sarah Belles. You can also call 704-892-8277 to speak to Sarah.
• Application to Become a Stephen Minister – submit this application to Rev. Sarah Belles, who will contact you. Feel free to talk with any of our Stephen Ministers to learn more about this vital program.
• Requirements of Stephen Ministers – this document will help you better understand what you’re signing up for.
• About the Stephen Ministry Organization – headquartered in St. Louis, MO, Stephen Ministry is a non-denominational ministry.